School of Motoring



The Driving Test changed on 4th December 2017.

The changes are designed to make sure new drivers have the skills they’ll need to help them through a lifetime of safe driving.

The changes will only apply to car driving tests to begin with.

The 4 driving test changes

1. Independent driving part of the test increased to 20 minutes

During this part of the test, you have to drive without turn-by-turn directions from the driving examiner.

This part of the test has been made longer, so it now lasts around 20 minutes - roughly half of the test.

2. Following directions from a sat nav

During the independent driving part of the test, most candidates will be asked to follow directions from a sat nav.

The examiner will provide the sat nav (a TomTom Start 52) and set it up. You won’t need to set the route - the examiner will do this for you. So, it doesn’t matter what make or model of sat nav you practise with.

You can’t follow directions from your own sat nav during the test - you have to use the one supplied by the examiner.

You can ask the examiner for confirmation of where you’re going if you’re not sure. It won’t matter if you go the wrong way unless you make a fault while doing it.

One in 5 driving tests don’t use a sat nav. You’ll need to follow traffic signs instead.

3. Reversing manoeuvres will be changed

The ‘reverse around a corner’ and ‘turn-in-the-road’ manoeuvres are no longer tested, but you should still be taught them by your instructor.

You’ll be asked to do one of 3 possible reversing manoeuvres:

    i). Parallel park at the side of the road

    ii). Park in a bay - either driving in and reversing out, or reversing in and driving out (the examiner will tell you which you have to do)

    iii). Pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse for 2 car lengths and rejoin the traffic

4. Answering a vehicle safety question while you’re driving

The examiner will ask you 2 vehicle safety questions during your driving test - these are known as the ‘show me, tell me’ questions.

You’ll be asked the:

    ‘tell me’ question (where you explain how you’d carry out a safety task) at the start of your test, before you start driving

    ‘show me’ question (where you show how you’d carry out a safety task) while you’re driving - for example, showing how to wash the windscreen using the car controls and wipers


Click the link here to help you with those changes.


Show Me, Tell Me Questions

Need to swot up on the Show Me, Tell Me questions?

Click here for a photo of my engine.

Tell Me questions click here.

Show Me questions click here.

Full list of questions click here.



A few booklets to help you with your test and Pass Plus. These booklets are printable. Just click on link and they will open in a new window. You will need Adobe Reader to view them. If you haven't got it installed, download it here, it's free. Bear in mind, these booklets were produced before the introduction of the 'Independent Drive' part of the practical driving test and as yet, have not been updated. For information on this, see video above.

1. Dealing with the Practical Test.

I have found, contrary to my printing software's instructions, if you print the first set of pages and then flip them top to bottom and reprint the other side, they seem to come out correct.

2. General Maintenance Knowledge Required for the Practical Test

Set printer properties to booklet printing.

3. What you need to know for the Practical Test

Set printer properties to booklet printing.

4. The Driving Test - Common Faults

Set printer properties to booklet printing. Alan and Sam, you already have this one. Lol.

5. How 2 Deal with Certain Driving Conditions

Set printer properties to booklet printing.


6. Know Your Traffic Signs booklet - Click to download

Know your traffic signs


Your Instructor

When your Driving Instructor arrives for your first lesson, he / she should be displaying their ADI (Approved Driving Instructor) badge in the top or bottom left-hand corner of the windscreen (on the passenger side).

If the badge is green, the instructor is a fully qualified ADI

If the badge is pink, the instructor is not yet fully qualified, but has passed the first two parts of the qualifying exams, and is training towards the final part.

The instructor's photograph should also be displayed on the badge towards the inside of the windscreen.

Both Green Badge and Pink Badge holders are entitled to charge a fee for instruction.

If the instructor is not displaying either a Green Badge or a Pink Badge, then they are probably not qualified to give instruction, and as such cannot legally charge a fee, and may be teaching incorrectly.




Before you begin your lessons, you MUST have a valid, signed provisional driving licence for the category of vehicle you are learning to drive. You MUST inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) if you change your name or address.
Law RTA 1988 sects 87 and 99 (4)

The card MUST have your signature to be legal and valid. Your instructor should check this before you begin, so please take your licence (photocard) to your first lesson. The paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence was abolished on 8 June 2015, so how you view your licence information has now changed. The paper counterpart to a driving licence has had no legal status now. You should destroy yours if you have one, but keep your photocard driving licence. Paper driving licences issued before 1998 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence if you have one of these. When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence.

Driving Licence Information

You can view your driving licence information here to see:

    What vehicles you can drive

    How many penalty points you have, if any

    When your licence runs to

    For the PIN number you need to give to your Driving Instructor, so he can check your licence

You MUST be able to read an old style (e.g. A 123 BCD) car number plate at a distance of 20.5 metres (67 feet), or a new style (e.g. AB 12 CDE) number plate at 20 metres (66 feet) before driving, wearing glasses or contact lenses if you need them. If you can’t meet this requirement, please see an optician first. Again, your instructor should check this before you start (If you can’t meet the requirement, you will not be able to take the practical part of the Driving Test, because this is one of the first things the examiner will check, and if you can’t meet it the test will be stopped). If you need glasses or contact lenses to meet the requirement, you should always wear them when driving.

Non-European Holders of non-European Community licences who are now resident in the UK may only drive on that licence for a maximum of 12 months from the date they become resident in this country. To ensure continuous driving entitlement:-
• a British provisional licence should be obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12-month period elapses, or
• in the case of a driver who holds a licence from a country which has been designated in law for licence exchange purposes, the driver should exchange the licence for a British one.


If you have your own car


Cars and motorcycles MUST normally pass an MOT test three years from the date of the first registration and every year after that. You MUST NOT drive a motor vehicle without an MOT certificate when it should have one. Exceptionally, you may drive to a pre-arranged test appointment or to a garage for repairs required for the test. Driving an unroadworthy motor vehicle may invalidate your insurance.
Law RTA 1988 sects 45, 47, 49 & 53


To use a motor vehicle on the road, you MUST have a valid insurance policy. This MUST at least cover you for injury or damage to a third party while using that motor vehicle. Before driving any motor vehicle, make sure that it has this cover for your use or that your own insurance provides adequate cover. You MUST NOT drive a motor vehicle without insurance. Also, be aware that even if a road traffic incident is not your fault, you may still be held liable by insurance companies.
Law RTA 1988 sect 143

Uninsured drivers can now be automatically detected by roadside cameras. Further to the penalties for uninsured driving listed on page 126, an offender's vehicle can now be seized by the police, taken away and crushed.
Law RTA 1988, sects 165a & 165b

The types of cover available are indicated below:
Third-party insurance - this is often the cheapest form of insurance, and is the minimum cover required by law. It covers anyone you might injure or whose property you might damage. It does not cover damage to your own motor vehicle or injury to yourself.

Third-party, Fire and Theft insurance - similar to third-party, but also covers you against your motor vehicle being stolen, or damaged by fire

Comprehensive insurance - this is the most expensive but the best insurance. Apart from covering other persons and property against injury or damage, it also covers damage to your own motor vehicle, up to the market value of that vehicle, and personal injury to yourself.

Registration certificate

Registration certificates V5c (also called harmonised registration certificates) are issued for all motor vehicles used on the road, describing them (make, model, etc.) and giving details of the registered keeper. You MUST notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in Swansea as soon as possible when you buy or sell a motor vehicle, or if you change your name or address. For registration certificates issued after 27 March 1997, the buyer and seller are responsible for completing the registration certificates. The seller is responsible for forwarding them to DVLA. The procedures are explained on the back of the registration certificates.
Law RV(R&L)R regs 21, 22, 23 & 24

Vehicle Excise Duty (VED)

Since October 1 2014, motorists have no longer needed to display a paper tax disc in their windscreens, even if it has not yet expired. When it's time to renew your road tax, you can pay using the DVLA website, by calling 0300 123 4321, or by applying in person at post offices. 
Law VERA sects 29 & 33

The Road Traffic Act 1988

Click here if you wish to see the RTA 1988 in all it's glory. Lol.

Home Page
Driving Instructor Code of Practice
Code of
DSA Test Booking
Useful Information

Useful Links